|Archival record of
Earthquake report at Race Rocks in 1872
- Visibility: 15 miles
- Wind: 20-30 knots West all day
- Sky: mostly clear.
- Water: 1′ chop
- Census day!
- Saw a Steller sea lion branded 365Y.
- Saw a California sea lion branded U949
- I’m pretty sure the high winds were responsible for some of the lower bird counts.
- Harbour Seals: 114
- Steller (Northern) Sea Lions: 65
- California Sea Lions: 63
- Elephant Seals: 11 (8 on Great Race, 3 on Middle Rock)
- Seagulls unspecified: 251
- Pigeon Guillemots: 68
- Cormorants unspecified: 22
- Canada Geese: 17
- Black Turnstones: 16
- Surfbirds: 5
- Harlequin Ducks: 5 (2 males and 3 females)
- Black Oystercatchers: 4
- Savannah Sparrows: 4
- Bald Eagles: 2 (2 adults, 0 immature)
- Crows: 2
- I spent a good portion of the day ill in bed.