- The 7:00 weather report (plus developments).
- Visibility: 10 miles (later 15)
- Wind: 0-5 knots South (15-25 knots West noon onwards)
- Sky: overcast and raining (sun in the afternoon)
- Water: calm
- All the elephant seals except for the smallest guy were off island today.
- I did see 6 of them playing in the water near the jetty.
- Improved my seagull identification skills today.
- This was the first day I noticed many Heermann’s Gulls.
- Fun to watch the lone cackling goose wander with the larger Canadians.
- Saw one branded California Sea Lion: U975
- Saw one California Sea Lion with a plastic neck ring.
- Conducted an all day animal census.
- California Sea Lions: 434
- Northern (Steller) Sea Lions: 219
- Harbour Seals: 59
- Elephant Seals: 7
- Seagulls: 1077 (Tentative 85% Thayer’s, 15% Glaucous-Winged)
- Cormorants: 375 (Tentative: 30 Pelagic, 25 Double Crested, 14 Brandt’s.)
- Heermann’s Gulls: 50
- Black Turnstone: 24
- Canada Geese: 11
- Black Oystercatchers: 10
- Harlequin Ducks: 3 (1 male, 2 female)
- Cackling Goose: 1
- Savannah Sparrow: 1
- Bald Eagle: 1 adult on South Rock
- Extended my new fence set up.
- Removed the fence in front of the students’ house.
- It was never very effective, and is less needed now.
- Ran the desalinator in the afternoon.
- Several eco-tours came by today.
- One small boat was observed speeding in the reserve.