- Visibility: 15 miles
- Wind: 10-15 knots W, later N
- Sky: overcast with afternoon drizzles
- Water: 1′ chop
- Recorded eight different sea lion brands today.
- Two Steller/Northern sea lions: 14Y and 998R.
- Six California sea lions: U603, 7618, 8985, U374, 9403, and 8465.
- I didn’t get good photos of all the brands, but I am certain of the characters.
- Conducted the weekly census.
- Didn’t see any Harlequin Ducks or Black Oystercatchers; perhaps the inclement weather kept them out of sight?
- Big increase in the number of cormorants from last week (20 up to 146).
- California Sea Lions: 541
- Northern (Steller) Sea Lions: 202 (half of those on Middle Rock)
- Harbour Seals: 69
- Elephant Seals: 9 (3 on Great Race, 6 on Middle Rock)
- Sea gulls: 800
- Cormorants: 146
- Black Turnstone: 13
- Savannah Sparrows: 10
- Bald Eagles: 2 adults on West Rock
- Canada Geese: 2
- The usual chores.
- Recently some of the larger eco-tour boats appear to be getting too close to the sea lions near the jetty. Below are today’s observations.