The Lantern Room at Race Rocks Posted on Saturday,July 15, 2006 by Garry Fletcher In pictures from our history file, dated 1875 and 1915, the original lantern cage was in place. This artist’s interpretation from original plans show the lantern cage with the large glass lens Sometime, probably in the 1920’s the first lantern cage was replaced with a new steel model. We think t Sometime, probably in the 1920’s the first lantern cage was replaced with a new steel model. We think that this corresponds to the change from oil lamps to an electric beacon. Today,the lantern room is essentially the same as it has been for over 75 years See this file on the lights of the Race Rocks Station This metal plaque on the upper south side of the current lantern room was placed by the manufacturer, the Corbet Foundry & Machine Co.of Owen Sound. The City Heritage Register of Owen Sound gives the details of the Corbet Foundry.http://city.owen-sound.on.ca/planning/collection-heritage.php?ID=157 These iron straps, now corroded help to anchor the lantern room to the sandstone walls.Update: In 2009 the tower was completely renovated and repaired by DFO. The short ladder to the trap door of the lantern room from the small equipment room underneath.