- Visibility: 10-15 miles throughout the day
- Wind: light breezes throughout the day, 4-11 knots
- Sky: overcast this morning then cleared up a bit by late afternoon
- Water: mostly calm, a bit choppy at times
- The usual commercial freighter and barge traffic
- Garry and a friend came out for the annual christmas bird count
- Two of the younger male elephant seals got into a fight/chase with the larger of the two dominating until Bernard (the biggest of the 5 males currently on the island) stepped in and sent them both on the run. With the females heading this way soon it may prove to be a bloody new year with the males fighting for dominance.
- Large group of oyster catchers, 18-20 strong, hanging around the south west end of the island.
- Didn’t see any canada geese today for the first time in a while.
- Garry’s friend pointed out some harlequin ducks in the water I hadn’t noticed.
- One of the elephant seal pups looks like an older male may have attacked it. It’s head and back are covered with lacerations and gouges.