- In the morning on Feb 3rd the second pup that had been born on Great Race (on Jan 27) was motionless. The pup had previously seemed a bit weak and slow compared to others, since mating began there has been a lot more commotion in the area and the pup was often unable to get out of the way. It is likely that it was either crushed or suffocated under the weight of the adult elephant seals. The mother stayed close to the body and was pushing and prodding it with her nose throughout the day.
- A third female e-seal was hauled out onto Great Race in the morning yesterday. While not as large as the others were before giving birth she is behaving like the other pregnant females.
Vessels: I returned in the afternoon, there was one eco tour after I got back.
- Brought the whaler in on Tuesday, Feb 2nd and sent it to a mechanic to work on electrical problems. There was a problem with the grounding connection and a few of the wiring connections (GPS, vhf and nav lights have been failing) which have been fixed.
- picked up some “U” bolts from Slegg for a camera mount attachment
- started month-end records and reporting.