- Elephant seals: Chunk has appeared to be trying to mate since before the pups were born but today it was the first time I have observed successful copulation with the mother of first pup. In the photos he seemed keen to go again but she didn’t seem very interested.
- Orcas: what appeared to be a family of 4 orcas passed through race passage in the morning heading East. A “Whale Research” vessel can be seen in the photo following them.
- Fishing: several sports fishing boats with buoys were around the reserve today, a sure sign that the halibut fishery has reopened for the season.
- took measurements for camera mounting housing and hardware
- Coast Guard Helicopter pilot Captain David Ferguson paid a visit to Race Rocks with 2 crew to do routine maintenance on the light and fog signal. They came in one of the Coast Guard’s new, shiny Bell 429 machines, which apparently cost about 8.3 Million dollars apiece.