- Visibility: 15+ miles
- Wind: 0-5 knots North, later 10-15 West
- Sky: clear
- Water: calm
- 15 elephant seals on Great Race today.
- For about an hour either side of noon, I was blocked out of the house by one elephant seal who insisted on sleeping against the door.
- The two deck entrance doors to the house were both locked, and seem to require keys no longer on the main key ring.
- One of the female elephant seals has a tag on her flipper: 980S (?)
- Update 13 May 2016: the flipper tag was upside down. It actually says: 5086
- A new flower has opened today, the beautiful red Gladiolus imbricatus.
- Finished cleaning the outside of all the windows of the two dwellings.
- Set up the new weed whacker.
- Cleaned the solar panels.
- A bit of goose work.
- At least 9 eco-tours came into the reserve today.
- Didn’t get photos of them all, as I was blocked outside for some of them.
- One small fishing boat was fishing to the east of Great Race; it looked like it might be just inside the borders of the rockfish conservation area?
- Two fishing boats passed through the reserve at speeds that appeared to be too fast.
- The first of these created a very large wake near the jetty; unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a photo of the peak wake.
- Two medium DND blasts today; 9:52 & 10:15~